For the entire four years of my undergraduate education I kept an online journal, totaling some five hundred entries. More than anything, that journal functioned for me as a social tool--to connect with my peers also on the journal--and as a forum to sort myself out mentally. For that reason, it broke down into nothing but to-do lists half the time, and mindless prattle the other half. There were some really good posts in there, I think, but its function wasn't eloquence or brilliance: it was a tool for dealing with life, and a useful one, especially in the first few years.
In the last few months I've been through a number of dramatic changes. I can't say that they weren't all for the better, but still, any upset of the rhythm of life is jarring. In May I graduated from college. By the end of May, I had reduced my possessions down to two suitcases full of clothes, and four small boxes of books (down from twenty-four). By the beginning of June, I had moved out of my little apartment in Tacoma, Washington, and begun a summer of couch surfing with my closest friends in Seattle--one, a pair of former classmates also about to pack up and move away (Nathan to Philadelphia, Daniel to Germany), the other an old friend whom I once kept in my campus apartment for a number of months, against all rules. By the middle of June I had a very boring, but well paying, part-time job. By August I was saying goodbye to all of my friends. By the middle of August, I was packing up two entire homes into a twenty-six-foot moving truck, and driving it three thousand miles from Seattle to Philadelphia, only to unpack it there into two separate apartments. By the end of August, I was staying in my parents' basement in Washington D.C., and reading everything in sight to keep sane. By September, I was on a plane to London. And by today, I have been living in the U.K. for ten days.
I am entering into a masters' program at King's College London in English literature. My focus in the program is on contemporary literature (from about 1850 to today), and I have about fifteen peers working on the same program; I will be working for about a year. A few days ago we all got to meet one another for the first time--not just the fifteen of us, but all eighty people getting an M.A. from the English department, some of the PhD students, and the professors. I managed to take a picture somewhere half through the night, in the pub many of us went to (both professors and students) once the snack and wine reception was finished:
I also had occasion to take a few other pictures, these of my living spaces here in London. Since they are where I'll be spending most of my time, they are probably worth a quick mention. This is home:
The other place where I'll be spending much of my time, as I have already begun to, is here:
And finally, the place where I sleep. My flat is in university housing, about half an hour away from both of these libraries (or campus, for that matter). Here is a picture of my cell:
I'm going to finish up with one last set of photos. These, I feel, make the flat situation, and the amount of library time well worth it. Here is my campus:
In this blog, I'm going to try to narrow down the content a bit from my previous journals. Every week, or as near as I can manage to my weekly goal, I will be posting something on this journal. About half the time, it will be something more general--something about London, something about me, perhaps some pictures, maybe a play review. The other half of the time I want to talk about literature. I'm doing more reading right now than I ever have before, and I want a forum to write about it in a way that is not quite as academic as I am used to, but still interesting for literature folks and lay persons alike. Between those two sides, you can expect a post from me every week, and I will try not to disapoint.
Please leave me comments, or get in touch with me personally through my e-mail or through Facebook. If you are interested in reading though my previous journal, you can find it at http://anythingelse6.livejournal.com . It makes for an interesting read every now and then, especially to see how far I've come.

6 comments:
The picture shown by you are amazing and I would love to go to these places.
===================================
neha trehan
look4ward
Good to be able to keep up with you from back in the old country. :)
That room looks hardly larger than a single-person dorm room. I have always though a small room like that would be nice, though. It's truly surprising how much stuff we acquire in even a few years.
So wonderful to hear from you and that all is well as you begin this new adventure. I look forward to hearing more!
I've lived in London nearly all my life and have never been to the British library... Shame on me.
Enjoy your new life as an Englishman........ :-D
Awesome pics -- and your place doesn't look at bad as I thought it might....
Really, getting drunk with ones profs is a tradition that I don't think is shared enough. Good job.
Speed Racer comes out on DVD this week. You know that shit is on my to-buy list.
Post a Comment